Sew what does one do when the weather is cold down here in Tampa? I decided to make a lined zipper pouch and I was definitely pleased with the result. The pouch was easy to make and I even plan to make more when I get time. Rather then have the bag look flat I added boxed corners which also help the bag stand up. So hop on over to Crafty Gemini and watch her video and make yourself a bag.
Hi everyone! If you are a quilter make sure to check out the website http://www.quiltsforkids.org. I have personally ordered several kits from this organization and have been very pleased. Also, its for a great cause too. The organization will send you a kit which includes fabric, quilting directions along with a label. There is no cost for the kit, but you will need to pay postage to send the completed quilt back. The postage is not that much. So don’t forget and check out the website. Happy quilting! Sharon
Hello there my favorite peeps! I joined Crafty Gemini’s Crafters on Facebook the other day and found a tutorial for oven mitts. After watching the tutorial I decided to give it a try. As I began quilting the oven mitt I had issues with the fabric puckering and decided to start over. So I made a quilt sandwich and did not have any issues with the fabric puckering. I did make some changes myself such as, making a quilt sandwich, added 100% cotton batting between the two pieces of fabric. I placed the oven mitt pattern on top of the quilted sandwich and cut the pattern out. Added some bias tape at the bottom of the oven mitt. These oven mitts are easy peasy to make and excellent for a gift too.
Feel free to leave a comment or share any ideas.
Until next time,
Our quilting guild got together and decided to make some quilts for a charity Quilts of Valor. We had a lot of fun sewing a new pattern and knowing a wounded soldier would receive a quilt for comfort. Be sure to check out their website. There are many patterns you can choose from on their website along with directions. Apparently, Buddy thinks the quilt is for him. LOL!
I have spent a lot of time in the kitchen over the years learning how to cook and bake. The Texas sheet cake is just one of the many recipes that I have had so many complements on. When I lived in Jacksonville, Florida, I was regularly asked to make this cake for my co-workers. I ended up feeling like I was making the cake about every other day but I did not mind because I enjoyed baking.
Here are the ingredients for the cake:
- 2 sticks of butter (room temperature)
- 4 tbsp Hershey Cocoa
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
Here are the steps on how to make the cake:
- Preheat oven 350
- Grease and flour lightly 10×15 inch pan.
- In a medium sauce pan bring to a boil: 2 sticks of butter,water and cocoa. Stir continually until boiling, then remove from heat and set aside. Let the sauce cool some. Sometimes I put the sauce in another bowl to cool quicker.
- In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients: 2 cups sugar,2 cups of flour,1 tsp baking soda,1/2 tsp salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Using a hand mixer begin to pour some of the sauce into the dry ingredients mix on medium. Once that is mixed: add one egg at a time and then add the sour cream.
- Pour cake batter into cake pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. I insert a tooth pick in the center to see if it is done. The cake may take longer to bake sometimes.
- After cake is done take out and let cool,or you can remove the cake from pan. I just keep it in the pan.
- Once the cake has cooled, we are going to add the frosting.
Here are the ingredients for the frosting:
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of nuts (optional)
- 1 stick butter (room temperature)
- 4 Tbsp cocoa
- 1 box powered sugar
How to make the frosting:
In a medium bowl combine all the above ingredients. Add the milk gradually. You can always add more milk,but you can’t take milk out. Add the nuts once everything is mixed together. Mix with a mixer. Make sure the butter is mixed well into the frosting and the butter is at room temperature. Then spread frosting on to the cooled cake. Sprinkle chopped nuts on top if desired.
Thought today I would share with you one of my many favorite recipes. I am always searching for new recipes to try and came across a shepherd’s pie that is really good. If you go to Allrecipes.com you will find the recipe there. Prep times takes about 30 minutes and cook time is about 20 minutes. So as you can see it does not take a lot of time to make. I try to get as much of the prep work done ahead to save on time. So I hope you will give this recipe a try.