Our quilting guild got together and decided to make some quilts for a charity Quilts of Valor. We had a lot of fun sewing a new pattern and knowing a wounded soldier would receive a quilt for comfort. Be sure to check out their website. There are many patterns you can choose from on their website along with directions. Apparently, Buddy thinks the quilt is for him. LOL!
May your Christmas sparkle with moments of love, laughter and goodwill,
And may the year ahead be full of contentment and joy.
Have a Merry Christmas.
I have spent a lot of time in the kitchen over the years learning how to cook and bake. The Texas sheet cake is just one of the many recipes that I have had so many complements on. When I lived in Jacksonville, Florida, I was regularly asked to make this cake for my co-workers. I ended up feeling like I was making the cake about every other day but I did not mind because I enjoyed baking.
Here are the ingredients for the cake:
- 2 sticks of butter (room temperature)
- 4 tbsp Hershey Cocoa
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
Here are the steps on how to make the cake:
- Preheat oven 350
- Grease and flour lightly 10×15 inch pan.
- In a medium sauce pan bring to a boil: 2 sticks of butter,water and cocoa. Stir continually until boiling, then remove from heat and set aside. Let the sauce cool some. Sometimes I put the sauce in another bowl to cool quicker.
- In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients: 2 cups sugar,2 cups of flour,1 tsp baking soda,1/2 tsp salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Using a hand mixer begin to pour some of the sauce into the dry ingredients mix on medium. Once that is mixed: add one egg at a time and then add the sour cream.
- Pour cake batter into cake pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. I insert a tooth pick in the center to see if it is done. The cake may take longer to bake sometimes.
- After cake is done take out and let cool,or you can remove the cake from pan. I just keep it in the pan.
- Once the cake has cooled, we are going to add the frosting.
Here are the ingredients for the frosting:
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of nuts (optional)
- 1 stick butter (room temperature)
- 4 Tbsp cocoa
- 1 box powered sugar
How to make the frosting:
In a medium bowl combine all the above ingredients. Add the milk gradually. You can always add more milk,but you can’t take milk out. Add the nuts once everything is mixed together. Mix with a mixer. Make sure the butter is mixed well into the frosting and the butter is at room temperature. Then spread frosting on to the cooled cake. Sprinkle chopped nuts on top if desired.
Thought today I would share with you one of my many favorite recipes. I am always searching for new recipes to try and came across a shepherd’s pie that is really good. If you go to Allrecipes.com you will find the recipe there. Prep times takes about 30 minutes and cook time is about 20 minutes. So as you can see it does not take a lot of time to make. I try to get as much of the prep work done ahead to save on time. So I hope you will give this recipe a try.
I don’t know about you, but I like to use a crock pot on my busy days. So thought I would share a recipe today that is really good and easy to put together in the crock pot. Now are you ready to see how easy this meal is to put together? Here we go!
- 1 (4 -5 lb) beef roast, any kind ( I buy a roast but you can use stew meat.)
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 4 medium potatoes, quartered
- 5 or 6 carrots, cut
- 1 4 1/2 once bottle pimento-stuffed olives, drained
- 1 8-ounce bottle Creamy French salad dressing
- 2 cups of hot water
- Place the roast into the crock pot. Add onions, carrots, potatoes and olives. Pour salad dressing and hot water over the foods in the crock pot. Then cover with lid.
- Turn crock pot on low and cook for 7 1/2 to 8 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
It’s so good and the meat is so tender it falls apart!!
Wanna learn how to make half square Triangles? Well I am going to show you how easy they are to make. I am making a star table topper made with half square triangles. So I thought what a great opportunity to teach my favorite peeps how to make half square triangles. Ladies, fire up the sewing machines and lets get started!
Cut your squares. My pattern calls for 7 inch squares. Finished size is 6 inches. Next, put right sides together and pin. Draw a diagonal line corner to corner. You can use a pen or pencil because you will be drawing on the wrong side of the fabric. Next, we are going to sew on each side of the line that was drawn. I placed the quarter inch foot right on the line that was drawn. Then sew on each side of the line that was drawn.
Now your two lines sewn should look like the picture below.
We are almost there! Take your rotary cutter or scissors and cut on the line that was drawn which would be the middle line.
Now you should have two triangles.
Press open the seam.
Cut off the ends sticking out.
Its time to square up the square. My squares finished should be 6 inches.
Press the square with the Iron. Ta Da you are finished!!!!!
I hope everyone had fun with me today! So go sew some half triangle and make something.
Until next time, happy quilting
Hello everyone! I came across a website a few weeks ago called Quilts for kids and decided that I would make a quilt for a child. I ordered a quilt kit and received it in about 14 days. The only thing that I needed to buy for the quilt was batting and everything else is provided in the kit for 6 dollars.If you get a chance make sure to check out their website at www.quiltforkids.org. The quilt patterns are easy to make and does not really take that much time to complete. I am happy that I finally got to finish the quilt because there has been a lot going on here the last 3 or 4 weeks LOL. I have found my stress reliever LOL quilting.