So are you wondering what you should cook for dinner this evening? Follow me to my kitchen, and grab an apron, and we will do some down home southern cooking! Are you ready? Here we go.
1 (3-6lb) frying chicken ( any whole chicken will do)
8 cups of water
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoons pepper (I always add a little more)
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3 tablespoons shortening (I use Crisco)
3/4 buttermilk (I add 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1 cup of milk and let it sit for about 5 minutes, then measure 3/4 cup)
Now that we have all our Ingredients together, we can begin the cooking process.
- Place the chicken in a large cooking pot. Add the water and 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Next, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 1 hour or until the chicken is tender. The chicken will fall of the bone.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and let cool.
- Debone the chicken and cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Next, we are going to make the dumplings.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil and add the pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. You will cut in the shortening. Add the buttermilk, stirring with a fork until moistened.
- Knead the dough for about 4 to 5 times, and pat to about 1/2-inch pieces and drop into the boiling broth (I just pinch off pieces) Reduce the heat to medium -low, and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the chicken and serve.
I had fun cooking with you today! Enjoy!