Four weeks ago my nephew and his wife had their first child on 2/3/2011 and his name is Lukas. I decided to make a baby blanket rather than buy commercial. So I am going to show you how I made the baby blanket today. Follow me to my sewing room and we will get started.
Here the materials needed to make a baby blanket:
- 1-1 1/2 yard of pattern fabric ( the pattern fabric will go on the front.)
- 1-1 1/2 yards coordinating soft solid fabric ( use this fabric for the back of the blanket.)
- 1-1 1/2 yards cotton batting
- Thread in the color of your choice
- Straight pins
- Safety pins
- Sewing machine
- Wrights Satin Blanket Binding in the color of your choice (you will need 4 3/4 yards which comes in a package)
Now I am going to show you how to make the blanket. Here we go!
- Wash and dry fabric.
- Cut a 30″ inch square out of both pieces of fabric. (you can make the blanket larger if you wish.)
3. Take the fabric you chose for the back and place it with the right side of fabric facing down. The wrong side of the fabric should face you.
4. Next, place the cotton batting or quilting batting on top of the fabric.
5. Place the pattern fabric on top.
6. Place safety pins in the center of the blanket and on both sides. Using safety pins will prevent shifting while sewing. I recommend that you not skip this step.
7. Go to your sewing machine and sew a 1/2 inch seam allowance on all four sides of the square.
8. Now take the scissors and trim off extra fabric and make sure not to cut the seam.
9. Iron over the blanket
10. We are now ready to apply the Satin Blanket Binding and you must have patience with this step. I have added a link on how to apply Satin Blanket Binding.