Cloth napkins are very easy to make and economical. If you are like me, today in the stores there is not much to chose from. I went to Jo Ann Fabric to pick out material to match the place mats that are on my dining room table. So today I am going to show you how to make cloth napkins. So ladies get the sewing machine out of the closet, and get the dust off, and fire up the sewing machine and here we go! Have fun making and decorating your own cloth napkins. Below are the steps taken to make the cloth napkins.
Here are the materials needed to make cloth napkins:
- 1 and 3/4 yard of fabric of your choice ( 45″) wide ( makes six napkins)
- Thread in the color of your choice
- Straight pins
- Heavy starch
- Sewing gauge
- Interfacing for template or poster board
- Marking pen
Here are the steps when making cloth napkins:
1. Cut a 20″ inch square template out of poster board or interfacing.
2. Place the template onto the fabric. Pin so the fabric does not shift while cutting.
3. Cut out the square and you should have two squares.
4. On the wrong side of the fabric,start at one end of the square, make a 1/2″ inch seam allowance with a sewing gauge and press with Iron. Then fold over again 1/2″ inch seam allowance and repeat on the other three sides of the napkin.
5. You can make a mitered corner or just sew straight across. When making mitered corners cut across all four corners. Be extra careful not to cut to much fabric because your corners will not meet correctly. I would suggest that you cut the fabric a little bit at a time.
6. Pin the corners and all around the napkin.
7. Sew a 3/8 seam allowance around the outer edge of the seams.
8. Iron the napkins with some starch and fold.
See how easy it was to make the napkins! Your done!