Valentines is less then a month away so I hope that you are getting ready to celebrate the holiday. Today I spent some time making hearts out of felt and thought I would share the process with you. So lets get started.
Here are the materials needed to make hearts:
- Felt in the color of your choice
- Thread in the color of your choice
- Pinking Shears
- Marking Pen
- Heart Template (you can make one yourself out of paper)
- Straight Pens
- Ribbon, buttons, etc.
Here are the steps when making the hearts:
- Place the template on the felt and put a straight pen in the center of the heart to keep it from shifting while tracing or cutting the felt. After you cut the felt, you should have two hearts.
- Take one of the felt hearts and place a ribbon down the center of the heart. I would double fold the ribbon so it will hang correctly.
- Now take the other piece of felt and place it on top of the other heart. Place a straight pin near the “V” in the center of the heart to hold the ribbon in place. I would also place a pin in the center and the bottom of the heart to prevent shifting while sewing.
- Take the heart to the sewing machine and sew a 1/4 inch seam around the heart. You can do a straight stitch or zig-zag stitch. When you reach the center of the heart, make sure to back stitch to ensure the ribbon stays in place.
- Trim the edges around the heart with pinking shears to give it a decorative look. Decorate the heart with buttons, ribbon, etc. as desired.